A district is a geographical section of a council, determined by the council executive board.
Each district is led by a district committee. District leaders mobilize resources to ensure the growth and success of units within the district’s territory. All districts are responsible for carrying out four standard functions: membership, finance, program, and unit service.
- The membership function strives for growth through the organization of new Scouting units and growth through new members joining existing units.
- The finance function sees that the district provides its share of funds to the total council operating budget.
- The program function concentrates on helping Scouting units with camp promotion; special activities, including community service; training adult volunteers; and youth advancement and recognition.
- The unit service function provides direct coaching and consultation by district volunteers for unit adults to help ensure the success of every Scouting unit.
The membership, finance, and program functions are carried out by members of the district committee. The unit service function is carried out by the district commissioner staff. The district chairman is a member of the council executive board. The district commissioner meets with the council commissioner and other district commissioners on a regular basis.
The chairman of each district operating committee may be a member of the corresponding council committee. The district chairman, one or more vice chairmen, and district members at large are elected by the district committee from a slate agreed upon and presented by the district’s nominating committee.
District Committee Job Profile Templates
Sample job profile templates for district committee positions done in Word format so you can revise them to fit your district’s needs. These can also be used ‘as is’ by filling in the volunteer name and key meeting dates.
- Activities and civic service chair
- Advancement and recognition chair
- Camping chair
- District chair
- Family FOS – Unit chair
- Friends of Scouting chair
- Fund development chair
- Health and safety committee chair
- Marketing committee chair
- Membership relationships chair
- Nominating committee chair
- Popcorn kernel
- Program chair
- School Night chair
- Special events chair
- Training chair
District Committee Resources
- Handbook for District Operations
- Activities & Civic Service Committee Guidebook
- District Committee Volunteer Duties Cards
- District Nominating Committee Worksheet
- Selecting District People
- District Self-Evaluation Guide
- Staging Recognition Meetings
- The Chartered Organization Representative
- The District
- Leadership Training Committee Guidebook
- Outdoor Programs Committee Guidebook
- District Finance Committee Guidebook
- Membership Committee Guidebook